Welcome to Metropolitan Players new website.
The site will keep you up-to-date with everything associated with the company.
Over time we will be progressively uploading data about our past productions.
After a very extensive audition process the cast of our 2014 production of "Hairspray" has now been chosen. The cast includes:
For details of the rest of the cast and how to book for the show, please click on this link.
- Tracy Turnblad - Kiani Sansom
- Edna Turnblad - Malcolm young
- Wilbur Turnblad - Ian Crouch
- Link Larkin - Callan Purcell
- Corny Collins - Luke Carroll
- Velma Von Tussle - Melinda Smith
- Amber Von Tussle - Alana Silcock
- Penny Pingleton - Juliette Coates
- Prudy Pingleton - Kristy Lush
- Motormouth Maybelle - Annie Devine
- Seaweed J. Stubbs - Joshua Davies
- Little Inez - Jasmine Craciun
"PHANTOM" WINS CONDAS
The City of Newcastle Drama Awards (the CONDAs) were presented last night (6/12/13) at a wonderful ceremony at the Civic Theatre. Our production of "The Phantom of the Opera" won a record 7 CONDAs. This is a wonderful recognition of all the work that went into this production and the success that it was. Huge congratulations to the production team, the cast, the crew, the orchestra and the committee for this fabulous achievement. It was great to see people being recognised for their work, not only the winners but also all the others associated with the show who received nominations.
These are the areas where we won CONDAs:
CIVIC THEATRE 2014 SEASON
- Best non-professional musical
- Best non-professional director - Julie Black
- Non-professional musical director - Greg Paterson
- Non-professional lead actor in a musical - Daniel Stoddart
- Costume design - Bev Fewins & Steven Harrison
- Hair/Wig design - George Francis & Valmai Drury
- Lighting design - Jacob Harwood
The Civic Theatre Newcastle launched its 2014 subscription season on 20/11/13. Metropolitan Players production of "Hairspray - the Broadway Musical" is part of the 2014 season. Subscribers who book for at least 4 shows from the main season can then access tickets to "Hairspray" at a special subscriber rate. Bookings can be made on-line at the Civic's website. Click here for a direct link.
The nominations for this year's CONDA Awards were announced at the Civic Theatre on 18/11/13. Our production of "The Phantom of the Opera" received a record 14 nominations in 10 different categories. A huge congratulations to everyone involved with the production for this recognition of all your wonderful work. The CONDA winners will be announced at the Awards ceremony at the Civic Theatre on Friday, 6 December at 7.30pm.
Our nominations are:
- Best non-professional Musical
- Best ensemble acting in a non-professional production
- Director - Julie Black
- Leading actor in a musical - Chris Maxfield
- Leading actor in a musical - Daniel Stoddart
- Leading actress in a musical - Caitlin Rose Harris
- Supporting actress - Ann Hartsuyker-Accardi
- Musical Director - Greg Paterson
- Choreographer - Kirby-Leigh Coker
- Costume Design - Bev Fewins, Steven Harrison
- Set Design - Alex Adams, Graeme Black, Donna Nipperess
- Hair & Wig Design - George Francis, Valmai Drury
- Lighting Design - Jacob Harwood
- Sound Design - Jacob Harwood, Trent Pickles
"HAIRSPRAY" FOR 2014
In August 2014 Metropolitan Players will be presenting "Hairspray" at the Civic Theatre. Auditions for the show will be held at Broadmeadow Uniting Church Hall in November this year. There will be an open dance audition on Friday, November 15, from 7pm to 10pm. Individual acting & singing auditions will be on Saturday, November 16 and Sunday November 17 from 10am to 5pm. For more information and to book auditions contact the director Julie Black on 4948 5568.