Welcome to Metropolitan Players new website.
The site will keep you up-to-date with everything associated with the company.
Over time we will be progressively uploading data about our past productions.
The nominations for the 2014 CONDA Awards were announced on Tuesday 18/11/14 at Agosti Espresso. Our production of "Hairspray" received a new record of 17 nominations (more than any other production) which is an amazing achievement for everyone involved in the show. The nominations are:
In the category for female actor in a leading role in a musical, there was only one nomination and so Kiani has already been declared the winner. Huge congratulations to Kiana in recognition of the great work she did in playing the role of Tracy Turnblad. All the winners will be announced at the CONDA Awards on Saturday, 29 November at Wests.
- Best Musical Production
- Best Ensemble Acting
- Excellence by a Director (Musical) - Julie Black
- Excellence by a Musical Director - Chris Vidler
- Excellence by a Choreographer - Kirby-Leigh Coker & Lauren Handsaker
- Excellence in Set Design - Graeme Black & Donna Nipperess
- Excellence in Costume Design - Bev Fewins
- Excellence in Lighting Design - Jacob Harwood
- Excellence in Hair Design - George Francis & Valmai Drury
- Excellence in Make-Up Design - Kim Houston
- Excellence by a Female Actor in a Leading Role in a Musical - Kiani Sansom
- Excellence by a Male Actor in a Leading Role in a Musical - Malcolm Young
- Excellence by a Male Actor in a Leading Role in a Musical - Callan Purcell
- Excellence by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role - Annie Devine
- Excellence by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role - Alana Silcock
- Excellence by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role - Ian Crouch
- Excellence by a Female Actor Under 18 - Juliette Coates
MARY AND BERT ANNOUNCED
Following an extensive audition process, we have now cast the roles of Mary and Bert for our production of "Mary Poppins" in 2015. We are delighted to announce that the role of Mary Poppins will be played by Alana Silcock and the role of Bert will be played by Daniel Stoddart. Congratulations to both these people and also to the wonderfully talented people who made it to the call-backs.
"MARY POPPINS" FURTHER AUDITIONS
Auditions for the rest of the cast of "Mary Poppins" will be held at Broadmeadow Uniting Church Hall in Broadmeadow Road on the following dates for all adult cast:
* Fri 7 November Dance Auditions: 6.30-8.30pm everyone; 8.30pm-10pm tappers only
* Fri 14 November Singing/Acting Auditions: 7-10pm
* Sat 15 November Singing/Acting Auditions: 10am-5pm
* Sun 16 November Singing/Acting Auditions: 10am-1pm
All roles are available except Bert and Mary. People auditioning for the adult cast must be at least 16 years old.
Auditions for the 2 children's roles of Jane & Michael Banks will be held on the following date:
* Sun 9 November: 9am-1pm
Children auditioning for these roles must be primary school age and be 7-12years old when the show is staged in August 2015.
ALL AUDITIONS MUST BE BOOKED BY RINGING 49485568 from 20th OCTOBER.
In 2015, Metropolitan Players are very excited to announce that we will be presenting "Mary Poppins" at the Civic Theatre from 5th - 15th August. Only 2 theatre companies in NSW have been granted the performing rights for 2105 - the other is in Sydney.
We will be holding auditions for the roles of Mary and Bert only on Saturday 20th September from 10am-5pm. The auditions will be held at Broadmeadow Uniting Church Hall in Broadmeadow Road. It is essential that you ring on 49485568 to book an audition spot. Auditions for the rest of the cast will be held in November and we will post details of these later.
"HAIRSPRAY" SEASON ENDS
Our wonderful season of "Hairspray" came to a close with an outstanding performance on Saturday night (23/8/14). The audience gave the show a standing ovation and their feedback has been amazing. Thank you to our wonderful cast, orchestra, crew and production team for making this such an outstanding production. Thank you also to the Newcastle audiences (over 6000) who came and saw the show and supported this fully local production. Again it has demonstrated the wealth of talent in the area.
REVIEW FOR "HAIRSPRAY"
Today's Newcastle Herald published a review of "Hairspray"by theatre critic Ken Longworth. In his review Ken said that: "Hairspray is lively from first to last and bright in performance and appearance"; "the whole cast is excellent"; "the ensemble work is likewise joyous and spry"; "Kiani Sansom gives an effervescent delivery"; Edna is superbly portrayed by Malcolm Young"; "director Julie Black, choreographers Kirby-Leigh Coker and Lauren Handsaker, musical director Chris Vidler and the orchestra, and an amazing design team make sure this is indeed a welcome visit to the '60s". Congratulations to everyone associated with the show on such an outstanding achievement.
There are only 4 chances left to see this production, so ring Ticketek on 49291977 to book your seats and make sure you don't miss out.
"Hairspray" opened at the Civic Theatre on Wednesday, 13 August with a grand charity event in aid of Ronald McDonald House, the Samaritans, Newcastle Enterprise Rotary and Allambi. The audience gave the opening night performance a huge ovation and the feedback has been amazing. This fully local production again shows the wealth of talent in the region and the quality of shows that Metropolitan Players produces.
MEDIA LAUNCH FOR "HAIRSPRAY"
"Hairspray" was officially launched on Tuesday, 15 July 2014 at the Civic Theatre. The launch was held on stage and the assembled media from television, radio and the press and invited guests were treated to 4 musical items from the show. They were also able to get a preview of the wonderful costumes, wigs and sets that have been made especially for the production.
ADVERTISING CAMPAIGN FOR "HAIRSPRAY" BEGINS
The advertising campaign for "Hairspray" is now in full swing. The billboard has gone up at Broadmeadow, the banner is up at the Civic Theatre, there are advertisements in the Herald and online advertising is due to start and NBN television is showing the commercial.
Visitors to the area can also find out about the production by going to the Visit Newcastle diary of events.
CHARITY BALL PERFORMANCE
Some of the cast of "Hairspray" performed a large dance routine from the show at the One to One Charity Ball at Wests on Saturday, 10 May. The Ball was to raise much needed money for Alambi Youth Services. Metropolitan Players were asked to provide some of the entertainment and our wonderful choreographers and cast certainly did that. The routine was a huge success and has generated a large amount of interest in the show.
"HAIRSPRAY" REHEARSALS BEGIN
Rehearsals for "Hairspray" started with a BBQ for the cast and production team on Saturday, 5 April. The cast were shown a model of the set and some of the costumes and then we had a read through of the show. Dance rehearsals then began the following week and the routines are already looking terrific. The cast are getting quite a work out with the energetic choreography.
After a very extensive audition process the cast of our 2014 production of "Hairspray" has now been chosen. The cast includes:
For details of the rest of the cast and how to book for the show, please click on this link.
- Tracy Turnblad - Kiani Sansom
- Edna Turnblad - Malcolm young
- Wilbur Turnblad - Ian Crouch
- Link Larkin - Callan Purcell
- Corny Collins - Luke Carroll
- Velma Von Tussle - Melinda Smith
- Amber Von Tussle - Alana Silcock
- Penny Pingleton - Juliette Coates
- Prudy Pingleton - Kristy Lush
- Motormouth Maybelle - Annie Devine
- Seaweed J. Stubbs - Joshua Davies
- Little Inez - Jasmine Craciun
"PHANTOM" WINS CONDAS
The City of Newcastle Drama Awards (the CONDAs) were presented last night (6/12/13) at a wonderful ceremony at the Civic Theatre. Our production of "The Phantom of the Opera" won a record 7 CONDAs. This is a wonderful recognition of all the work that went into this production and the success that it was. Huge congratulations to the production team, the cast, the crew, the orchestra and the committee for this fabulous achievement. It was great to see people being recognised for their work, not only the winners but also all the others associated with the show who received nominations.
These are the areas where we won CONDAs:
CIVIC THEATRE 2014 SEASON
- Best non-professional musical
- Best non-professional director - Julie Black
- Non-professional musical director - Greg Paterson
- Non-professional lead actor in a musical - Daniel Stoddart
- Costume design - Bev Fewins & Steven Harrison
- Hair/Wig design - George Francis & Valmai Drury
- Lighting design - Jacob Harwood
The Civic Theatre Newcastle launched its 2014 subscription season on 20/11/13. Metropolitan Players production of "Hairspray - the Broadway Musical" is part of the 2014 season. Subscribers who book for at least 4 shows from the main season can then access tickets to "Hairspray" at a special subscriber rate. Bookings can be made on-line at the Civic's website. Click here for a direct link.
The nominations for this year's CONDA Awards were announced at the Civic Theatre on 18/11/13. Our production of "The Phantom of the Opera" received a record 14 nominations in 10 different categories. A huge congratulations to everyone involved with the production for this recognition of all your wonderful work. The CONDA winners will be announced at the Awards ceremony at the Civic Theatre on Friday, 6 December at 7.30pm.
Our nominations are:
- Best non-professional Musical
- Best ensemble acting in a non-professional production
- Director - Julie Black
- Leading actor in a musical - Chris Maxfield
- Leading actor in a musical - Daniel Stoddart
- Leading actress in a musical - Caitlin Rose Harris
- Supporting actress - Ann Hartsuyker-Accardi
- Musical Director - Greg Paterson
- Choreographer - Kirby-Leigh Coker
- Costume Design - Bev Fewins, Steven Harrison
- Set Design - Alex Adams, Graeme Black, Donna Nipperess
- Hair & Wig Design - George Francis, Valmai Drury
- Lighting Design - Jacob Harwood
- Sound Design - Jacob Harwood, Trent Pickles
"HAIRSPRAY" FOR 2014
In August 2014 Metropolitan Players will be presenting "Hairspray" at the Civic Theatre. Auditions for the show will be held at Broadmeadow Uniting Church Hall in November this year. There will be an open dance audition on Friday, November 15, from 7pm to 10pm. Individual acting & singing auditions will be on Saturday, November 16 and Sunday November 17 from 10am to 5pm. For more information and to book auditions contact the director Julie Black on 4948 5568.